The baseball world is still reacting to Tuesday’s stunning trade between the Marlins and Blue Jays, and here’s the latest batch of news out of south Florida…
- Team president David Samson discussed the trade, management’s reasoning behind the move and how the Marlins are reacting to the negative publicity in a radio interview with Dan Le Batard on 790 AM Radio (Steven Cuce of SportsRadioInterviews.com has a partial transcript).
- Also from the interview (passed on by Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post), Samson said that Ricky Nolasco won’t be traded this winter and will be a Marlin in 2013 unless “the phone rings and something crazy happens.”
- The Marlins’ team policy of not giving no-trade clauses has kept Scott Boras from directing his clients to Miami for the last 16 years, Boras tells Bob Nightengale of USA Today. “I’ve never had a franchise player there because it was just not
something my client wanted to risk,” Boras said. “They
(Marlins executives) were always upfront about it. They told me, ‘We
don’t do no-trade clauses.’ But it’s very difficult to sell an
expectancy to a player knowing that it might last for only one year.”
- The Marlins talked to the Diamondbacks about Jose Reyes before eventually including Reyes in the Toronto deal, tweets ESPN’s Buster Olney. The D’Backs are known to be looking for help at third base and shortstop, despite acquiring Cliff Pennington earlier this month. We heard yesterday that Miami had also discussed Reyes with the Red Sox prior to the big trade.
View original article.